Monday, November 16, 2015

But you...

I stopped.
To ask you what kind of day it was going to be.
Would you talk to me?
Or would you walk past me like you didn’t see me?
Did you have us on your mind?
Perhaps not. Doesn’t look like it.
I saw you look at me;
Fleetingly.
But it wasn’t me you were looking at;
I saw the distant look in your eyes.
I waited.
Maybe you would notice;
There wasn’t a smile on my lips.
There hasn’t been one in a few days.
But no. You didn’t.
You rarely do. The distant eyes, they never see what they should.
So what are you thinking about?
That unpaid bill? The broken down car?
Or that project that needs to be wrapped up today?
I know, deep down I shouldn’t really worry;
Even when you don’t have me or us on your mind.
But I wish, sometimes,
You’ll think about us.
About what we are, and were we are headed.
Whether we’ll get there together.
And then I know
I am being unreasonable.
There is nowhere else to be
But together.
I have you, and you have me,
And we have us; and that is forever.
Then I look at your distant eyes,
And I smile.
You catch me smiling;
You ask me what’s funny.
I shrug and say nothing.
And nothing is sometimes all I need.

But you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment